The life & style blog Diva Gals Daily recently published a post explaining “Why a glass of wine should be at your dinner party.” In picking out some great wines and foods to pair they got the assistance of our Chief Wine Ambassador Wes Narron!
Read an excerpt below, or check out the full article on the Diva Gals Daily blog:
Hey Divas. We’re pretty certain we don’t have to give you healthy reasons to drink wine on this GET FIT Tuesday, but we are!
The health benefits that come from moderate wine consumption, defined by the American Heart Association, include that wine drinkers have a 34 percent lower mortality rate than beer or spirits drinkers. Wine drinking reduces heart-attack risks and lowers risk of heart disease and stroke. It can even cut the risks of cataracts. It also helps lower your stress level and cortisol surging through your body, which can often appear as belly fat as you age.
Of course, the key is moderation – one to two four ounce glasses daily is about right. And the bet place to modify your consumption is at a great dinner party — every hostess loves a dinner guest who brings along a great bottle of wine that you can share (and spread the calorie wealth!).
Here are some handy tips that will help usher you into the “guest of honor” seat!
1. Pick something YOU like to drink. Don’t worry about how the aromas of the wine match the flavors of the food. If you like it, at least one person will be happy! Trust your taste buds, not a suggestion from a wine critic or wine shop staffer. Taste it before you buy it!
2. Match the body (heaviness) of the wine with the body of the food. Having a pot roast with fall root vegetables? You need a big bold red. Having a pasta primavera? You need a fresh, fruity white.
3. If you’re picking a wine to be served with dessert, the wine should be a little less sweet than the dessert.
4. When in doubt, pick a sparkling wine. Everyone whoops when they hear corks popping! What a festive way to start the party.
5. Or pick a rose’. A rose’ will go with everything!